Monday, June 11, 2012

Adventures With NEATO XV-11

By Wendy J. Miller

"Thank you for cleaning my dirt bin and filter."

NEATO XV-11 arrived in a shiny box with a carry handle and weighed in at 13 kg.  A big baby, yes, but included were a docking station, instruction booklet and a special magnetic strip to control what area of the house was to be cleaned. I eagerly studied the instruction book so that my robot would know that I paid attention to detail and cared enough to set everything up properly. 

First of all, I set HIS clock (the idea of a guy helping with the chores was appealing to me), and then I set HIS cleaning days and hours. He had a big backlog of dust to tackle, so I wanted him to get right at it as soon as he was fully charged!  It only takes two to three hours to fully charge NEATO, and when his battery gets low he makes a bee-line to the docking station to recharge.

I couldn't wait!  Monday. 7:00 a.m.!  I staked out the living room sofa waiting for him to back out of the docking station for the first time.  Right on time, with a whirring sound, NEATO was on the move.  I watched him scope out the living room, buzzing along, butting his sturdy body on the furniture and rearranging some floor decor items: NEATO was here!

It was great fun watching him work thoroughly throughout the living room, and then suddenly he veered off down the long hallway.  It was like watching your firstborn leave for kindergarten for the first time!  Off he went, unaware of the adventures in dust and debris that lay ahead.  I followed him at a slight distance for a bit - to see how he would do.  Then, I thought better of it, or I'd be late for work!  I would check in on things when I got home that evening.

And check in I did!  The kitchen throw rug's tassels were all askew; it was flipped over on the corners with its underlay exposed.  A book and stuffed animal in the back studio were turned on end and NEATO had encouraged a few chairs out of his path.  I checked his dustbin and was not surprised that it was half full, and its filter coated in dust.  I emptied the bin, cleaned the filter and gave NEATO a day off.

Two days later, he was back in action, powering his way around furniture with finesse.  He seemed to be doing so well - then I heard the loud noises of altercation...dashing down the hall, I found NEATO had a run-in with an extension cord, and had actually succeeded in unplugging a lamp!  NEATO: 1; extension cord: 0. Lesson learned - move all cords out of his path.

There is always something new with NEATO.  He seems to have made peace with the kitchen throw rug, but he still likes to ruffle its fringes.

To be continued...