Friday, June 22, 2012

Adventures with NEATO XV-11

By Wendy J. Miller

"My battery needs to be charged."

NEATO continues to get himself into compromising situations and today was no different.  When I got home in the evening, I was surprised to find my little buddy stuck between the wall and one of the legs of my "creeping the 'hood" full-size telescope!

He delighted me with a new message for this conundrum: "My bumper is stuck.  Please free it."  More than the bumper was stuck, let it be known... the sturdy telescope tripod had NEATO in a full leg lock: telescope - 1; NEATO - 0.

Of course, NEATO had spent the day as a captive, and his battery was run down. So I had to carry him back to his docking station. Seems to me that he likes getting carried around, even though he always ask to be down on the floor. 

Like most interactions today, I don't know if he's even listening, and, although NEATO has lots to say, only once has he said, "thank you."

So far, his messages have included:

"Please check my dirt bin an filter. Empty them as needed."
"Please put by dirt bin back."
"Thank you for cleaning my dirt bin and filter."
"Finished. I'm returning to my base station."
"Please dust me off so that I can see."
"I am unable to navigate. Please clear my path."

And... my favourite message of all, "Cleaning house."  Way to go, NEATO!  That's exactly why I got you.  Maybe one day I'll get the message, "Here's your martini" from some bot-ty else ;)

The End